Skip to main content

Why donate?

Fundraising is hard work. Trying to convince people to part with their hard earned cash to support your cause is tough. And I can see why people are reluctant to donate. Sometimes it's just a case of 'I'll do it later', 'When I get paid...' 'I'm out at the moment, when I get in...'. I know. I've been there. I've said those things. It's not actually that you don't want to donate. We all lead our lives and the more important things crop up that cause you to forget.

There are so many causes to support and I'm sure charity requests often pop up in your facebook feeds. Some of you already support the big charities through regular direct debits or through your own fundraising challenges. I know nearly all my friends took part in the 'no make up selfie' challenge and the 'ice bucket' challenge. I know, you do your part, your charitable efforts have been ticked off for the season. So, why should you donate to mine? Firstly, please don't feel like you have to. I respect that we all have the causes that are close to our hearts, the causes that we have our own personal reasons for supporting. However, I would like you to gain some insight into why you might want to support this small, little known charity.

I won't tell you too much about our own situation at this point, there will be other posts that will go into detail. Compared to other families, we had an easy ride. Easy being a ridiculous word to use when you are talking about cancer... I will tell you that Momentum make things more tolerable for families going through hell. Many of you are parents yourself. Imagine your child having to spend months on end, in isolation in a hospital room. Their risk of infection and the danger that comes with that being so high that their own siblings have not been allowed to see them in months. The only way their parents can comfort and hold them is by being doused in sanitising gels before donning hospital robes and masks...Momentum support families living that reality. The whole family, from the child who has to look at the same four walls all day, to the siblings at home, to the parents. Then there are the children who have been diagnosed as having terminal cancer, the ones who are returning home to parents and siblings to die... I cannot even begin to contemplate... I can't even finish the sentence. It's too awful, too heart-breaking, too tragic... But, for too many families it is their reality. Again, Momentum are there. To help ensure those last few months are as precious as they can be and to pick up the pieces after the child has passed on. The support never ends. Indeed, Momentum continue to support my own family, now my child is, thankfully, in remission.

Those are just two examples that I have come across since I have been in contact with Momentum and other families. There are so many other stories I could share, each one could bring you to tears. When we were going through our own daughter's cancer, friends would tell me how strong I was being. How much they admired me and found me inspiring. The truth was I wasn't coping but I didn't feel I had the right to not cope. Not when our outlook was so bright compared to others. It was Momentum who made me realise I needed support, that my scenario was still a nightmare scenario for any parent. They helped ease the guilt I felt that I was upset at a time that other families had it so much worse. I will always be thankful to them for that.

I know some of you would rather put your money towards researching for a cure for cancer and I implore you, don't donate to my fundraising rather than that. However, realise that for those children suffering from cancer, right now, that magical cure won't come soon enough. For these children, I believe we do what we can to ensure their quality of life is the best that it can be, at that time. That is what Momentum are there to do.

On a last note, please, don't donate if you don't want to. It may not be a cause that directly effects you. However, it didn't directly effect me either... not at all, right up until the moment a scan revealed our daughter had a dark mass on her kidney...

                  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Marathon Challenge

Drumroll please... I have been shortlisted for the Women's Running Magazine Big Marathon Challenge team. I am pretty stunned to say the least. If I make the final three then I'll be on my way to competing in the Manchester Marathon, receiving top notch training and full kit courtesy of Asics. I'm in amazing company, the women are all pretty inspirational and each have their own reasons for wanting to run as part of the team. So, what's mine? I have tackled two marathons but feel I succumbed to the dreaded wall in each one. That little devil on my shoulder won each time and to finish the thing I had to switch to a walk/run strategy. Physically, I know each time I could have run the whole thing. But that little voice, that seed of doubt in my head took over. I know I can do it. I know I can finish a marathon, running the whole way... I also know there is no shame in using a run/ walk strategy, many runners do it and it's still a huge achievement to complete a mara

Financial Advice in the Midst of A Crisis

I was asked if I could write a blog post full of financial tips for those who are taking those first terrifying steps of the cancer journey. They clearly looked at my two overdrafts, recent spout of homelessness and my woefully underpaid self employed position and thought, ‘here’s the girl we need in times of financial crisis!’ If you have come to this blog because you are taking those first steps, I am truly sorry that you are joining this sucky club. It’s not one that any parent ever wants to be part of. I assure you, you will find the strength to get through this. It will somehow reveal courage you never knew you had and show you that children are truly warriors who face adversity with such bravery that your love for them will elevate to levels you never believed possible.  When you are told your child has cancer, the last thing on your mind will be money. But it’s incredible how much your finances will take a knock. From hospital car parking fees, to takeaways  (you

Back to face The Beast

Well, hello there... I have long declared myself ‘missing in action’. Life has been hurtling by at tremendous speed and I’ve found myself spread thin, wondering what deal I could possibly do to gain more hours in the day. I wasn’t even sure I’d be able to recall the password to log back into my blog page. If you’re reading this, then ‘go me!’ I’ve succeeded in getting in! So, why pick this up now?  I’m still running but my running has been sporadic at best. Since the hell that was Brighton (sorry Brighton, it’s not you, it’s me...) I’ve seen my joy for running coming and going in waves. Bursts of it being the brilliant, empowering tool that has brought me to new PB’s and then lulls whilst being relegated to the injury bench... I’m currently recovering from one stubborn shin injury just as others are nearing the end of successful marathon training cycles, churning out jubilant, and well-deserved, medal bling pics. Yes, the green-eyed monster is currently thrashing out this rambli