Skip to main content

Musings of a 'Poor Runner'

What I've always loved about running is the ease of it. No, not the actual run itself, but that you can just pull on your trainers and off you go. No fee to pay, no monthly bill to sting you! In the past I've paid for gym memberships that I've never used... or paid for and then sat in the steam room after a five minute walk on the treadmill! Up until the point my husband had to leave his nicely paid job,  I'd been enjoying the luxury of a Virgin Active Membership. Oh, how life has changed! Walking into that Virgin Active with copies of our bank statements and proof of our impending homelessness to get out of the pricey contract has got to be up there in my top three most humiliating moments...
But with my discovery of the joy of running came the discovery of an affordable sport, non reliant on my bank balance.

Running in a recent race, I found myself tuning into conversations around me... "Oh, I was a mortgage advisor for some time..." "We got back from Paris last week." "Yep, it's a garmin, got it last week but I'm thinking of switching brands."
Suddenly I felt a little out of place. I'd entered this race using money I probably should have used on a haircut for myself... I haven't had one since before we lost our home. It seems a luxury at the moment to pamper myself with one. And that's the kind of choice I make each time I enter a run. I learn to go without something for myself to 'feed my habit'.

The costs of running quickly add up. Trainers to suit your gait, kit to suit all weathers, race entry, technical accessories, sports nutrition....

And then there's the dream. I would love to attempt the Six World Majors... but the 'how' seems impossible...And as I type this blog from our temporary accommodation whilst we await housing through the council, it seems laughable that I even hold onto this dream... And if I was able to one day scrape together the costs to do even one of the five of the marathons abroad, how could I justify spending that money on myself, for my hobby, when my children have never stepped foot on a plane.

Running provides me with a therapy that money just can't buy. The sense of pride as I cross finish lines restores just some of the dignity that was lost when I was sat with a bag of belongings in my local council's office, begging for help for my family. Should I feel guilty for pursuing a new found passion when I'm living in a home that isn't even mine?

I'm not looking for sympathy or even trying to be all 'doom and gloom'. I'm actually quite a positive person, but at times, usually fuelled by instagram and twitter images of runners living their dreams in far off places, I feel that as a 'poor runner', I simply don't belong. I guess the best thing to do when those doubts creep in, is pull on the trainers and run!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Marathon Challenge

Drumroll please... I have been shortlisted for the Women's Running Magazine Big Marathon Challenge team. I am pretty stunned to say the least. If I make the final three then I'll be on my way to competing in the Manchester Marathon, receiving top notch training and full kit courtesy of Asics. I'm in amazing company, the women are all pretty inspirational and each have their own reasons for wanting to run as part of the team. So, what's mine? I have tackled two marathons but feel I succumbed to the dreaded wall in each one. That little devil on my shoulder won each time and to finish the thing I had to switch to a walk/run strategy. Physically, I know each time I could have run the whole thing. But that little voice, that seed of doubt in my head took over. I know I can do it. I know I can finish a marathon, running the whole way... I also know there is no shame in using a run/ walk strategy, many runners do it and it's still a huge achievement to complete a mara

Financial Advice in the Midst of A Crisis

I was asked if I could write a blog post full of financial tips for those who are taking those first terrifying steps of the cancer journey. They clearly looked at my two overdrafts, recent spout of homelessness and my woefully underpaid self employed position and thought, ‘here’s the girl we need in times of financial crisis!’ If you have come to this blog because you are taking those first steps, I am truly sorry that you are joining this sucky club. It’s not one that any parent ever wants to be part of. I assure you, you will find the strength to get through this. It will somehow reveal courage you never knew you had and show you that children are truly warriors who face adversity with such bravery that your love for them will elevate to levels you never believed possible.  When you are told your child has cancer, the last thing on your mind will be money. But it’s incredible how much your finances will take a knock. From hospital car parking fees, to takeaways  (you

Back to face The Beast

Well, hello there... I have long declared myself ‘missing in action’. Life has been hurtling by at tremendous speed and I’ve found myself spread thin, wondering what deal I could possibly do to gain more hours in the day. I wasn’t even sure I’d be able to recall the password to log back into my blog page. If you’re reading this, then ‘go me!’ I’ve succeeded in getting in! So, why pick this up now?  I’m still running but my running has been sporadic at best. Since the hell that was Brighton (sorry Brighton, it’s not you, it’s me...) I’ve seen my joy for running coming and going in waves. Bursts of it being the brilliant, empowering tool that has brought me to new PB’s and then lulls whilst being relegated to the injury bench... I’m currently recovering from one stubborn shin injury just as others are nearing the end of successful marathon training cycles, churning out jubilant, and well-deserved, medal bling pics. Yes, the green-eyed monster is currently thrashing out this rambli