Skip to main content

River Thames Half Marathon

I had a grumpy end of August and September with running. An awful chest infection just wouldn't shift, even after two rounds of antibiotics, and I had to cancel my planned two half marathons. I was gutted. I had looked forward to the Richmond Running Festival and the Kingston Half Marathon since booking them in the midst of post marathon booking fever way back in April. (Does anyone else have to book multiple races after a big event?) I had to drop out of both events, reluctantly I have to add. But seeing as I couldn't walk without becoming a spluttering mess, it was probably the wise choice.

I stumbled upon the River Thames Half Marathon whilst eagerly searching for a replacement race before the year was out... How have I not heard of it before? I live a ten minute drive from Walton and love running along the river. Plus, this one I could rope my husband into doing too; he spent most of his youth drunkenly stumbling along the river so it would be a trip down memory lane. I signed us up and set to work creating a training plan. Sub 2 hour was the goal...

Except work got in the way, a lot. Skipped runs here and there meant I started to doubt whether I'd manage my goal time. I am not the fastest runner by any means and I don't run races to beat anyone else but I am incredibly competitive with myself. I was starting to feel worried that I'd let myself down... and then the husband lost his balls... well, had a vasectomy!

Still hobbling two weeks after the 'snip', he pulled out of the event. Pre-race prep was probably not completely thought through. For a belated anniversary treat we headed to 'Fright Night' at Thorpe Park and spent two hours standing in a queue only to be chased by zombies through a maze. Very fun but my legs were questioning my sanity the night before a run. We then had a hugely indulgent, Italian feast followed by the sweetest and possibly most calorific chocolate cake you could imagine. Carb loading, right?

As the alarm went off on the morning of the run, I was half tempted to snooze it and go back to sleep. Nope, up we got and headed down the road to very familiar territory. It was busier than I expected it to be with a lovely atmosphere. I had accepted that morning that a sub 2 hour wasn't possible and headed to the 2 hour plus pen. I got chatting to a lovely runner and decided there and then that I'd enjoy a leisurely run with this new pal, swapping running stories, new besties for life... And then the race began. Competitive Terri kicked in. 'Good luck', I shouted back leaving my new mate behind. The first mile was a bit congested and I had to work hard to weave in and out to get ahead. Looking at my watch, I realised my pace was far quicker than any recent training run. I wasn't sure if I could sustain it but I was enjoying the buzz it gave me and continued to weave past other runners. As the miles passed by, I kept checking my watch. I was still running a fast race, well, fast for me! a sub two hour seemed possible now. I hadn't popped my headphones in, knowing the first few miles were on open roads. I actually quite enjoyed the silence, just focusing on my running, the runners ahead and the scenery... The beautiful Thames looking magnificent. I decided against popping my earphones in as we progressed along the river route. I was still making fantastic time. At ten miles I knew I could do it, even if I drastically dropped my pace. I started to get excited. And a little tired. Down went a gel. A much needed boost to sustain a pace I wasn't used to. I pressed on. The final two miles were the toughest but knowing I'd manage the goal that I thought was out of my reach kept me pressing on.

Passing over that final little bridge before the finish line was a last second tease for tired legs, but the crowds that had gathered were brilliant. Just before passing the finish line I caught sight of the hobbling hubby and burst into tears. To any concerned bystanders, I'm sorry if my hysterical state had you worried for my health, I was just chuffed beyond belief to have finished a half marathon with a new PB for me.

A fantastic course, one I highly recommend. I will be back!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Big Marathon Challenge

Drumroll please... I have been shortlisted for the Women's Running Magazine Big Marathon Challenge team. I am pretty stunned to say the least. If I make the final three then I'll be on my way to competing in the Manchester Marathon, receiving top notch training and full kit courtesy of Asics. I'm in amazing company, the women are all pretty inspirational and each have their own reasons for wanting to run as part of the team. So, what's mine? I have tackled two marathons but feel I succumbed to the dreaded wall in each one. That little devil on my shoulder won each time and to finish the thing I had to switch to a walk/run strategy. Physically, I know each time I could have run the whole thing. But that little voice, that seed of doubt in my head took over. I know I can do it. I know I can finish a marathon, running the whole way... I also know there is no shame in using a run/ walk strategy, many runners do it and it's still a huge achievement to complete a mara

Financial Advice in the Midst of A Crisis

I was asked if I could write a blog post full of financial tips for those who are taking those first terrifying steps of the cancer journey. They clearly looked at my two overdrafts, recent spout of homelessness and my woefully underpaid self employed position and thought, ‘here’s the girl we need in times of financial crisis!’ If you have come to this blog because you are taking those first steps, I am truly sorry that you are joining this sucky club. It’s not one that any parent ever wants to be part of. I assure you, you will find the strength to get through this. It will somehow reveal courage you never knew you had and show you that children are truly warriors who face adversity with such bravery that your love for them will elevate to levels you never believed possible.  When you are told your child has cancer, the last thing on your mind will be money. But it’s incredible how much your finances will take a knock. From hospital car parking fees, to takeaways  (you

Back to face The Beast

Well, hello there... I have long declared myself ‘missing in action’. Life has been hurtling by at tremendous speed and I’ve found myself spread thin, wondering what deal I could possibly do to gain more hours in the day. I wasn’t even sure I’d be able to recall the password to log back into my blog page. If you’re reading this, then ‘go me!’ I’ve succeeded in getting in! So, why pick this up now?  I’m still running but my running has been sporadic at best. Since the hell that was Brighton (sorry Brighton, it’s not you, it’s me...) I’ve seen my joy for running coming and going in waves. Bursts of it being the brilliant, empowering tool that has brought me to new PB’s and then lulls whilst being relegated to the injury bench... I’m currently recovering from one stubborn shin injury just as others are nearing the end of successful marathon training cycles, churning out jubilant, and well-deserved, medal bling pics. Yes, the green-eyed monster is currently thrashing out this rambli