Skip to main content

Back to face The Beast

Well, hello there... I have long declared myself ‘missing in action’. Life has been hurtling by at tremendous speed and I’ve found myself spread thin, wondering what deal I could possibly do to gain more hours in the day. I wasn’t even sure I’d be able to recall the password to log back into my blog page. If you’re reading this, then ‘go me!’ I’ve succeeded in getting in!

So, why pick this up now? 
I’m still running but my running has been sporadic at best. Since the hell that was Brighton (sorry Brighton, it’s not you, it’s me...) I’ve seen my joy for running coming and going in waves. Bursts of it being the brilliant, empowering tool that has brought me to new PB’s and then lulls whilst being relegated to the injury bench... I’m currently recovering from one stubborn shin injury just as others are nearing the end of successful marathon training cycles, churning out jubilant, and well-deserved, medal bling pics. Yes, the green-eyed monster is currently thrashing out this rambling post.

But despite the inconsistencies, I do love it. I do. And I’m so desperate to get back to the consistent running and feeling like... well, a runner!

I’ve been hesitant to sign up for races this year. I’ve spent most of it so far injured and it seems fruitless to sign up for events that I may have to withdraw from... Marathons have been off the agenda since the puke filled-fest that was Brighton. But then the marathon is a strange beast. You truly experience every high and low doing one, I’ve had more than my fair share of lows. It’s a mental battle that I’ve not yet conquered and I don’t like not being able to conquer my battles. 


It is also fast approaching Taylin’s next cancer check up. And this should be her last as a ‘cancer patient’ before being moved to after-care for her remaining kidney. Five glorious cancer-free years. Life can be incredibly shite at times and it’s sometimes too easy to forget how incredibly lucky we are to be in the position we are in. We still struggle financially; the road since Taylin’s cancer journey has felt like one knock after another. And yet, that statement- five glorious cancer-free years... None of the ‘bad’ stuff matters. It really doesn’t. We have our health, and with that we have so many wonderful opportunities and possibilities at our feet. The world can be our oyster if we have the bravery to take it on. Not all families are so lucky. I can run, I can run care-free into the sunset knowing I’ll be coming home to my beautiful family. So I’m choosing to run hard, to take on that ultimate challenge again, because I can. Because I am one of the lucky ones in life. Because life is for living and dreams are there to be chased, obstacles to be smashed or turned into opportunities. And everyday that I wake and am still the lucky Mother that I am, I owe a debt to the pioneers of medicine, to the NHS, to the charities that fight endlessly to make things better, fairer. So, there’s the why. The why, after promising never again, I have signed up for another marathon. Bring on the beast!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Financial Advice in the Midst of A Crisis

I was asked if I could write a blog post full of financial tips for those who are taking those first terrifying steps of the cancer journey. They clearly looked at my two overdrafts, recent spout of homelessness and my woefully underpaid self employed position and thought, ‘here’s the girl we need in times of financial crisis!’ If you have come to this blog because you are taking those first steps, I am truly sorry that you are joining this sucky club. It’s not one that any parent ever wants to be part of. I assure you, you will find the strength to get through this. It will somehow reveal courage you never knew you had and show you that children are truly warriors who face adversity with such bravery that your love for them will elevate to levels you never believed possible.  When you are told your child has cancer, the last thing on your mind will be money. But it’s incredible how much your finances will take a knock. From hospital car parking fees, to takeaways  (you

Big Marathon Challenge

Drumroll please... I have been shortlisted for the Women's Running Magazine Big Marathon Challenge team. I am pretty stunned to say the least. If I make the final three then I'll be on my way to competing in the Manchester Marathon, receiving top notch training and full kit courtesy of Asics. I'm in amazing company, the women are all pretty inspirational and each have their own reasons for wanting to run as part of the team. So, what's mine? I have tackled two marathons but feel I succumbed to the dreaded wall in each one. That little devil on my shoulder won each time and to finish the thing I had to switch to a walk/run strategy. Physically, I know each time I could have run the whole thing. But that little voice, that seed of doubt in my head took over. I know I can do it. I know I can finish a marathon, running the whole way... I also know there is no shame in using a run/ walk strategy, many runners do it and it's still a huge achievement to complete a mara